Travel Industry News at since 1997. Interviews, podcasts, videos, pictures and more


Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for July 2008

Travel News Asia Latest Travel News Podcasts Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Hong Kong's visitor arrivals in July 2008 reached 2,709,375, 10.4% more than in July 2007. This brings cumulative arrivals for the first seven months of 2008 to 16,894,879, 9.1% ahead of the same period last year.

In July 2008, Mainland China was the best performing of all long- and short-haul market regions, with arrivals growing by 19.4% to 1,660,243. The majority of international markets, especially the long-haul markets, continued their recent downward trend which started in June 2008, led by rising fuel prices, a global economic slowdown and the visa policy adjustments made by Mainland China.

Visitor arrivals from different market regions:

Mainland China: 1,660,243 (+19.4%)
North Asia: 184,375 (+2.4%)
Taiwan: 214,586 (+0.6%)
South & Southeast Asia: 222,196 (-3.1%)
Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific: 61,677 (-3.5%)
Europe, Africa & the Middle East: 151,709 (-10.8%)
The Americas: 134,311 (-11.6%)

Out of the total Mainland arrivals in July 2008, 1,014,717 or 61.1% arrived under the Individual Visit Scheme, 26.9% more than in July 2007. Cumulatively, there were 5,375,050 arrivals under the Individual Visit Scheme in the first seven months of 2008, 15.5% more than for the same period in 2007.

Some 59.6% of all visitors to Hong Kong in July stayed in the city for at least one night, 3.6 percentage points lower than for the same month last year. The remaining 40.4% same-day in-town visitors either returned home or left for another destination on the same day as arrival.

Hotel occupancy across all categories of hotels in July 2008 was 89%, one percentage point lower than in July 2007. The geographic location with the highest occupancy was Eastern Hong Kong, where hotels recorded occupancy rate of 91%. The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories was HK$1,095, 6% higher than in July 2007.

See also: Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for June and 1st Half 2008 and other recent news regarding: Travel News AsiaPromotions, New Hotels, Hong Kong, Visitor Arrivals

Subscribe to our Travel Industry News RSS Feed Travel Industry News RSS Feed from To do that in Outlook, right-click the RSS Feeds folder, select Add a New RSS Feed, enter the URL of our RSS Feed which is: and click Add. The feed can also be used to add the headlines to your website or channel via a customisable applet. Have questions? Please read our Travel News FAQ. Thank you.



Copyright © 1997-2023