Travel Industry News at since 1997. Interviews, podcasts, videos, pictures and more


Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for May 2008

Search ASIA Travel Tips .com Latest Travel News Send to Friend Thursday, 26 June 2008

Hong Kong visitor arrivals in May 2008 reached 2,342,146, 6.3% more than in May 2007. This brings cumulative arrivals for the first five months of 2008 to 12,037,578, 9.5% ahead of the same period last year.

Almost all long and short-haul market regions recorded positive growth in May 2008. For visitor mix, the proportion of arrivals from Mainland China and those from all other market regions remained steady at 55:45, same as in 2007. Visitor arrivals from different market regions:

North Asia: 192,586 (+13.6%)
South & Southeast Asia: 278,138 (+9.9%)
Taiwan: 177,028 (+7.4%)
Mainland China: 1,290,806 (+6.4%)
Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific: 62,216 (+4.6%)
The Americas: 139,616 (+0.6%)
Europe, Africa & the Middle East: 154,253 (-4.2%)

Among various individual source markets, South Korea achieved the highest growth rate at 32.6%. Arrivals from the emerging markets of India and Russia also gained 32.2% and 14.2% respectively.

As for Mainland China, 702,699 or 54.4% of the Mainland arrivals arrived under the Individual Visit Scheme, 3.6% more than in May 2007. Cumulatively, there were 3,744,702 arrivals under the Individual Visit Scheme in the first five months of 2008, 12.5% more than for the same period in 2007.

In May 2008, some 58.4% of all visitors to Hong Kong stayed in the city for at least one night, 2.3 percentage points lower than for the same month last year. The remaining 41.6% same-day in-town visitors either returned home or left for another destination on the same day as arrival.

Out of Taiwans total monthly arrivals, 73.5% the highest proportion among all markets departed Hong Kong on the same day of arrival. While such proportion remained at relatively the same level as in May 2007 (73.4%), the number of overnight visitors however increased by 7% to almost 47,000, taking up 26.5% of the islands arrivals in May 2008.

Hotel occupancy across all categories of hotels in May 2008 was 81%, same as in May 2007. Despite the surprise in April's statistics, the geographic location with the highest occupancy returned to the normal Yau Ma Tei/ Mong Kok area, where hotels recorded occupancy rate of 84%. The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories was HK$1,140, 3.5% higher than in May 2007.

See also: Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for April 2008 and other recent news regarding: Travel News AsiaPromotions, New Hotels, Hong Kong, Visitor Arrivals, May 2008

Receive our Latest Travel News Daily Email free of charge by entering your email address and name in the boxes to the right and clicking subscribe. By subscribing, you agree with Revue's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. You can also receive the news by WhatsApp, stay updated with our RSS Feed Travel Industry News by, and even Add the Headlines to Your Website free of charge. Have questions? Please read our travel news FAQ.



Copyright © 1997-2021