ASIA Travel Tips.com

 

Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for April 2008

Search ASIA Travel Tips .com Latest Travel News Send to Friend Friday, 30 May 2008

Visitor arrivals to Hong Kong in April 2008 reached 2,419,911, 11.2% more than in April 2007. This brings cumulative arrivals for the first four months of 2008 to 9,695,432, 10.3% ahead of the same period last year.

In April 2008, Mainland China was the best performing of all long and short-haul market regions, with arrivals growing by 19.8% to 1,305,002. Positive growth was also recorded in other market regions, except Taiwan, which together took up 46.1% of the total monthly arrivals. Visitor arrivals from different market regions in April 2008 are:

Mainland China: 1,305,002 (+19.8%)
North Asia: 163,433 (+7.3%)
Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific: 69,874 (+6.6%)
South and Southeast Asia: 252,371 (+4.2%)
The Americas: 170,594 (+2.6%)
Europe, Africa and the Middle East: 225,152 (+1.6%)
Taiwan: 189,671 (-1%)

Among various individual source markets, double-digit growth was recorded in the high-potential market of South Korea (+17.9%), as well as in such emerging market of Russia (+11.1%).

Out of the total Mainland arrivals in April 2008, 671,769 or 51.5% arrived under the Individual Visit Scheme, 26.6% more than in April 2007. Cumulatively, there were 3,042,003 arrivals under the Individual Visit Scheme in the first four months of 2008, 14.7% more than for the same period in 2007.

Overnight vs Same-Day In-Town Visitors

Some 56.4% of all visitors to Hong Kong in April stayed in the city for at least one night, 2.6 percentage points lower than for the same month last year. The remaining 43.6% same-day in-town visitors either returned home or left for another destination on the same day as arrival.

Taiwan continued to have the highest percentage (74.1%) of same-day arrivals, as many visitors travelled en-route to the Mainland or other destinations. As for Mainland China, 46.9% of visitors left Hong Kong on the same day of arrival in April 2008, an increase of more than four percentage points over April 2007reflecting the trend for same-day consumption visits by Individual Visit Scheme travellers. Together Mainland China and Taiwan contributed 71.2% of the same-day arrivals in April 2008.

April 2008 Hotel Occupancy

Hotel occupancy across all categories of hotels in April 2008 was 85%, three percentage points higher than in April 2007. The geographic location with the highest occupancy was, for the first time in years, Wan Chai / Causeway Bay, where hotels recorded occupancy rate of 87%. Normally Yau Ma Tei / Mong Kok records the highest occupancy. The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories was HK$1,424, 1% higher than in April 2007.

See also Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for March 2008 and other recent news regarding: Airlines, Aviation, Flights, HotelsPromotions, New Hotels, Visitor Arrivals, Hong Kong

Subscribe to our Latest Travel News Daily Email Free of Charge by simply entering your email address to the right. You can also receive the daily news service by WhatsApp, stay updated with our RSS Feed Free Travel News RSS Feed and even add the travel news to your website. Have questions? Please read our travel news FAQ.
     

Advertising
Advertising

 
Copyright © 1997-2020 TravelNewsAsia.com