and IBM are to establish a scheme that aims to increase the number of Indigenous Australians working in the Information Technology (IT) industry.
The scheme, to commence on 4 December 2008, will focus on:
- inspiring Indigenous school children to get excited about IT through IT camps and skills workshops;
- provide traineeships across the industry for Indigenous high school students; and
- partnering with tertiary institutions to offer graduate positions to qualified Indigenous graduates.
"The project will commence with two workshops for Indigenous employees, students and members of industry and academia, to better
ascertain how Qantas can attract and retain Indigenous Australians in IT roles,"
said Mr Dixon, Chief Executive Officer of Qantas.
partnership with IBM
is one of several new initiatives aimed at building Indigenous employment opportunities at Qantas and
contributing to the recognition and development of Indigenous cultural and tourism ventures. In addition, from 2009, Qantas will:
- have Qantas Cabin Crew make an Acknowledgement of Country announcement on all international flights landing in Australia on Sorry Day in February, during Reconciliation Week in May and during NAIDOC Week in July;
- partner with the Australia Council for the Arts to create the Qantas Young and Emerging Indigenous Visual Arts Award to recognise the role of
younger Indigenous artists in keeping Indigenous culture strong;
- support the Australia Council's Red Ochre Award for an outstanding, established Indigenous artist; and
- be the Official Airline sponsor of the annual Australian Indigenous Tourism Conference, which enables Indigenous tourism operators to
network and leverage their cultural capital.
"We are confident of meeting our target of 450 Indigenous employees by June 2010, our sponsorships remain highly successful and our
Indigenous staff engagement initiatives are well underway," Mr Dixon said.
Indigenous Pilot Cadet initiative
has already seen one cadet complete training, while another cadet is still in training and a further seven candidates
are preparing to commence training.
Qantas first established its Indigenous employment program in 1988.
other recent news regarding: