ASIA Travel Tips.com

 

Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for November 2007

Search ASIA Travel Tips .com Latest Travel News Saturday, 12 January  2008

Hong Kongs tourism industry notched up another strong performance in November 2007 with a total of 2,448,135 visitor arrivals. This is the best November result on record for the vibrant city and represents a year-on-year increase of 17.6%. Cumulative arrivals for the first 11 months now stand at 25,379,939, 11.1% more than the same period of last year and topping the 2006 full-year figure of 25.25 million.

The solid gain was spread across Mainland China and the international markets. In particular, the high-potential markets, namely South Korea (+25.8%) and the Philippines (+27.3%), showed substantial growth. Consistently registering double-digit increases in the past six months, these two markets have already surpassed their 2006 full-year performance. Other primary source markets, such as the UK, as well as such newly emerged markets as Russia and the Middle East have also passed their 2006 results.

All of the three long-haul market regions, as well as Mainland China and South & Southeast Asia, recorded double-digit growth in November 2007, as shown below:

Mainland China: 1,291,307 (+23.7%)
The Americas: 178,258 (+14.7%)
Europe, Africa and the Middle East: 214,842 (+13.9%)
Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific: 60,824 (+11.3%)
South and Southeast Asia: 272,500 (+13.4%)
North Asia: 201,712 (+6.8%)
Taiwan: 179,909 (+7.5%)

Out of the total monthly arrivals, more than 1.48 million were overnight visitors (60.5% of the total), with the remainder of 966,000 (39.5%) classified as same-day in-town visitors. In January-November 2007, more than 15.45 million or 60.9% stayed in the city for at least one night, while those who left on the same day of arrival exceeded 9.92 million (39.1%).

November 2007 Arrivals by Markets

Arrivals from Mainland China reached 1,291,307, an increase of 23.7% over the same month in 2006. This took the cumulative total for January to November to 13,962,650, 13.3% ahead of the same period last year. Of the Mainland arrivals in November, 670,468 or 51.9% travelled under the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), a year-on-year increase of 38.8%. The cumulative IVS arrivals in January-November 2007 exceeded 7.71 million, which represents 55.2% of visitors from the Mainland and growth of 28.4%.

Arrivals from Taiwan grew by 7.5% to 179,909. This took the islands cumulative arrivals for the first 11 months of 2007 to 2,039,158, a year-on-year increase of 2.5%.

South and Southeast Asia provided 272,500 arrivals in November 2007, an increase of 13.4%. Among the individual markets in the region, the Philippines and Malaysia enjoyed the highest growth rate at 27.3% and 27.2% respectively, followed by Singapore (74,197, +12.4%). In the first 11 months of 2007, Hong Kong welcomed 2,521,382 arrivals from this market region, representing growth of 7.7% on 2006.

Arrivals from North Asia increased by 6.8% to 201,712. South Korea continued to provide the impetus to growth in the region, with arrivals growing by 25.8% to 81,131, while arrivals from Japan dropped by 3.1% to 120,581. Cumulative January-November arrivals stood at 1,974,842, 8.1% more than in 2006, with arrivals from Japan up by 1.0% and those from South Korea by 21.3%.

In the long-haul market regions, the Americas enjoyed the highest growth rate at 14.7% with its 178,258 arrivals. Canada sustained its strong growth momentum at 22.9%, while arrivals from the U.S. also increased by 12.2% and those from South and Central America by 11.3%. This took the overall arrivals from the region in January-November 2007 to 1,626,808, 8.8% more than in the same period in 2006.

Europe, Africa and the Middle East also maintained the momentum, with arrivals reaching 214,842, a year-on-year increase of 13.9%. Among the individual markets in this region, the UK (61,257, +9.2%) provided the largest volume, while France (21,907, +18.4%) and the Middle East (15,056, +21.9%) enjoyed the greatest gain. Cumulative January-November arrivals from this region reached 2,013,273, 14.8% higher than in the same period in 2006.

Arrivals from Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific numbered 60,824, 11.3% more than in November 2006. Australia saw further growth, with arrivals increasing by 13.1% to 52,490. The cumulative arrivals for the first 11 months reached 684,811, 13.3% ahead of the same period of 2006.

November 2007 Same-Day In-Town Visitors

Some 60.5% of all visitors to Hong Kong in November stayed in the city for at least one night, 1.9 percentage points lower than for the same month last year. The remaining 39.5% were same-day in-town visitors, who either returned home or left for another destination on the same day.

Between January and November 2007, 60.9% of all visitors stayed one night or more, 1.7 percentage points lower than for the same period in 2006.

November 2007 Hotel Occupancy

The average occupancy across all categories of hotels in November was 93%, three percentage points higher than in November 2006. The geographic locations with the highest occupancies in November were (as always) Yau Ma Tei / Mong Kok, where hotels recorded rates of 96%. The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories for the month was HK$1,383, 12.1 higher than in November 2006. The average occupancy across all categories of hotels for January-November 2007 was 86%, same as the same period in 2006. The average achieved room rate across all hotel categories was HK$1,210, 12.1% higher than in the first 11 months of 2006.

See also: Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for October 2007 and other recent news regarding: Airlines, Aviation, Hotels, Hong Kong, Visitor Arrivals

Subscribe to our Latest Travel News Daily Email Free of Charge by simply entering your email address to the right. You can also receive the daily news service by WhatsApp, stay updated with our RSS Feed Free Travel News RSS Feed and even add the travel news to your website. Have questions? Please read our travel news FAQ.
     

Advertising
Advertising

 
Copyright © 1997-2020 TravelNewsAsia.com