ASIA Travel Tips .com

   

 

Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for July 2007

Search ASIA Travel Tips .com Friday, 31 August 2007

Visitor arrivals to Hong Kong numbered 2,455,224 in July, representing growth of 12.3% compared with the same month in 2006. This took cumulative arrivals for January to July to 15,484,592, a growth of 7.7% compared with the same period in 2006.

Arrivals from key regional source markets were: Europe, Africa and the Middle East: 170,062 (+17.7%), Mainland China: 1,390,554 (+16.2%), Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific: 63,894 (+13.5%), North Asia: 180,126 (+11.5%), South and Southeast Asia: 229,394 (+8.1%), the Americas: 152,006 (+7.9%), Taiwan: 213,244 (-3.5%).

Visitors from Mainland China represented 56.6% of July arrivals. Travellers under the Individual Visit Scheme in July numbered 799,582, 57.5% of the Mainland total and 30.7% more than in the same month last year.

Over 1.55 million July arrivals (63.2% of the total) stayed in the city for at least one night, with the remainder of more than 904,000 (36.8%) classified as same-day in-town visitors. Between January and July 2007, there were more than 9.43 million overnight visitor arrivals (60.9% of the total), while those who left on the same day of arrival reached 6.05 million (39.1%).

July 2007 Arrivals by Markets

Arrivals from Mainland China grew by 16.2% to 1,390,554 in July, bringing the cumulative January-July arrivals to 8,490,269, 7.4% ahead of the same period last year. Of the Mainland arrivals in July, 799,582 or 57.5% travelled under the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), a year-on-year increase of 30.7%. This took the cumulative IVS arrivals in January-July 2007 to more than 4.65 million, which represents 54.8% of visitors from the Mainland and growth of 23.3%.

Arrivals from Taiwan reached 213,244 in July. This brought the January-July cumulative total from the island to 1,279,431, a rise of 1.5%.

Arrivals from South and Southeast Asia in July numbered 229,394, a year-on-year increase of 8.1%. The Philippines was the strongest individual market in the region, with growth of 28% in July. The regions January-July total stood at 1,544,881, an increase of 6.4%.

There were 180,126 visitors from North Asia in July, comprising 102,294 visitors from Japan, a rise of 1%, and 77,832 from South Korea, an increase of 29.2%. Cumulative January-July arrivals stood at 1,216,603, 8.5% more than in 2006, with arrivals from Japan up by 2.4% and those from South Korea by 19.8%.

Arrivals from Europe, Africa and the Middle East, the strongest market region in July, reached 170,062. Among the individual markets in this region, both the UK (43,924 arrivals, +24.8%) and the Middle East (16,844 arrivals, +32.5%) registered significant gain in July. The cumulative 7-month arrivals numbered 1,201,425, a 16.3% increase. 

Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific delivered 63,894 visitors, bringing the January-July total to 417,627, a rise of 11.5%, while the 152,006 arrivals from the Americas took overall arrivals from the region in the first seven months of 2007 to 991,951, 6.9% more than in the same period in 2006.

July 2007 Same-Day In-Town Visitors

Some 63.2% of all visitors to Hong Kong in July stayed in the city for at least one night, 1.3 percentage points lower than for the same month last year. The remaining 36.8% same-day in-town visitors either returned home or left for another destination on the same day as arrival.

Between January and July 2007, 60.9% of all visitors stayed one night or more, 1.5 percentage points lower than for the first seven months of 2006.

July 2007 Hotel Occupancy

The average occupancy across all categories of hotels in July was 90%, two percentage points higher than in July 2006.

The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories for the month was HK$1,033, 12.6% higher than in July 2006.

The average occupancy across all categories of hotels for January-July 2007 was 84%, two percentage points lower than in the same period in 2006. The average achieved room rate across all hotel categories was HK$1,157, 12.6% higher than in the first seven months of 2006.

See also: Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals Exceed 13 Million in First Six Months of 2007 and other recent news regarding: Hong Kong, Research, Survey, Visitor Arrivals

Receive our Latest Travel News Daily Email free of charge by entering your email address and name in the boxes to the right and clicking subscribe. You can also receive the news by WhatsApp, stay updated with our RSS Feed Free Travel News RSS Feed, and even Add the Headlines to Your Website free of charge. Have questions? Please read our travel news FAQ.

     

Advertising
Advertising

 
Copyright © 1997-2021 TravelNewsAsia.com