ASIA Travel Tips .com

   

 

Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for May 2006

Search ASIA Travel Tips .com Monday, 3 July 2006

Overall visitor arrivals to Hong Kong in May 2006 reached more than 1.95 million an increase of 7.3% more than in May 2005. This brought the total for the first five months of 2006 to more than 10.3 million, a year-on-year growth of 11.6%.

Some 1.23 million (63.2%) of the May 2006 arrivals were classified as overnight visitors, with the remainder of more than 720,000 (36.8%) classified as same-day. Arrivals from North Asia rose by 16.2% to 161,345, while South and Southeast Asia grew by 10.3% to 231,387. Mainland China provided 1,045,744 visitors, a 7.6% increase over May last year, with arrivals from Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific increasing by 5.7% to 50,121, and from Europe, Africa and the Middle East growing by 5.5% to 139,165, while those from the Americas rose by 3.7% to 129,649. Taiwan was the only regional market to show a decline in arrivals, by a modest 1.8% to 159,505.

Mainland China was the source of more than 1.04 million visitors, a rise of 7.6% over May 2005. More than 473,000 Mainland visitors travelled to Hong Kong under the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), 45.3% of the total and 12.5% more than in May 2005. While Taiwan showed an overall drop of 1.8%, the percentage of overnight arrivals from the island continued to rise, this month by 6.7%.

May 2006 Arrivals by Markets

Of the 1,045,744 Mainland arrivals in May, 473,611 travelled to Hong Kong under the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), 45.3% of the total and 12.5% more than in the same month in 2005. Cumulative arrivals from the Mainland in January-May reached 5,746,988, a 15% year-on-year increase, while IVS visitors numbered 2,738,346, 25.1% more than in the previous year.

 Although May arrivals from Taiwan fell by 1.8% to 159,505, the overall total for the first five months of the year increased by 2.4% to 868,053.

The 231,387 South and Southeast Asian arrivals in May took the cumulative five-month total to 1,009,755, a 9.2% increase over 2005. Individual markets in this region showing the strongest May growth were the Philippines (25.8%), India (24.9%) and Indonesia (15.3%).

The 161,345 arrivals from North Asia in May included 108,542 from Japan, a year-on-year increase of 23.4%, and 52,803 from South Korea, a rise of 3.9%. Cumulative arrivals in January-May reached 801,542, 9% more than in 2005.

Among key long-haul regions, Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific was the best performer in May, growing by 5.7% to 50,121. Arrivals from Europe, Africa and the Middle East rose by 5.5% to 139,165, while those from the Americas increased by 3.7% to 129,649. Respective cumulative five-monthly totals for the three regions stood at 260,601 (an 11.1% increase), 761,082 (+10.6%) and 653,281 (+4.9%).

May 2006 Same-Day In-Town Visitors

Some 63.2% of all visitors to Hong Kong in May stayed in the city for at least one night, compared with 63.5% in the same month last year. The remaining 36.8% same-day in-town visitors either returned home or left for another destination on the same day as arrival.

Between January and May 2006, 62.1% of all visitors stayed for one night or more, 0.6 of a percentage point lower than in the first five months of 2005.

May 2006 Hotel Occupancy

Hotel occupancy across all categories of hotels and tourist guesthouses in May was 82%, two percent higher than for the same month in 2005, and despite the fact that Hong Kongís hotel-room supply grew by 3.4% between May 2005 and May 2006.

Visitorsí most favoured geographic location in May was, as always, Yau Ma Tei/Mong Kok, where hotels recorded an occupancy rate of 88%.

The average achieved hotel room rate across all hotel categories was HK$992, 19.2% higher than in May 2005.

The average occupancy across all categories of hotels and tourist guesthouses for January-May 2006 is 86%, three percentage points higher than in 2005. The average achieved room rate across all hotel categories is HK$1,067, 16.2% higher than in the first five months of 2005.

See also: Hong Kong Visitor Arrivals for April 2006

See other recent news regarding: Hong Kong, Visitor Arrivals

Subscribe to our Latest Travel News Daily Email Free of Charge by simply entering your email address to the right. You can also receive the daily news service by WhatsApp, stay updated with our RSS Feed Free Travel News RSS Feed and even add the travel news to your website. Have questions? Please read our travel news FAQ.
     

Advertising
Advertising

 
Copyright © 1997-2020 TravelNewsAsia.com